Fire and Smoke Damage | SERVPRO® of Downtown and East Charlotte
Fires can cause more damage than people think. Water damage, smoke, and odor are other things that people do not think of right away.
Fires can cause more damage than people think. Water damage, smoke, and odor are other things that people do not think of right away. SERVPRO® of Downtown and East Charlotte is a trusted leader in the fire damage restoration industry. Our fire damage restoration professionals have the expertise and equipment needed to get the job done to your satisfaction as quickly as possible.
Fires cause a lot of damage quickly, and luckily for you, we know what has to be done to bring your home back to preloss conditions and get your life back on track. When we first arrive on the scene, we will have to do a careful walk-through to assess the damages and check for safety concerns to ensure our technicians will not be harmed while completing the work.
Smoke damage is something we can handle when it comes to cleaning savable items, it's a very tedious process, but we are more than happy to do that work if it means we can save something of value to you and the fire has not damaged the item.
One thing people do not think about right away is water damage. When the fire department or fire sprinklers go off, water is flooded into the area, and your walls, floors, carpets, etc., will soak that water up, or there will be standing water. We can help dry out the area and remove water-affected areas that cannot be saved or dried. If that is not taken care of in a certain amount of time, mold can begin to grow, opening up another can of worms a homeowner would not want to deal with after dealing with a fire.
A fire can break out anytime, and SERVPRO® of Downtown and East Charlotte is ready to take your call, day or night. Contact us (704) 529-9963 -24/7 for fire cleanup, smoke damage, and fire damage restoration.
Keep House Fires at Bay This Spring
If fire strikes your home this spring, SERVPRO® of Downtown and East Charlotte will be there to make the damage "Like it never even happened."
The arrival of warmer temperatures and more daylight can only mean one thing—spring is on the way! With the arrival of spring returns many people’s desires to get outside to clean up or tackle some home renovation projects.
Before you grab that hedge trimmer or power tool, make sure you are taking the necessary steps to avoid starting a house fire.
Clean Up Inside
One of the main causes of house fires is appliance malfunctions. In particular, clothes dryers are a common culprit.
You should be regularly cleaning out your lint trap after every load, and it’s important to avoid placing anything too close to your dryer that can catch on fire, like boxes, wrapping paper or cleaning supplies.
In addition, your vent that leads outside should not be blocked in any way. Not only can it be dangerous for your health if that air can’t escape safely, it can also lead to a system failure and can spark a fire. Keep your vents clear and make sure to thoroughly clean them out each season to remove dust and debris buildup.
Inspect Your Equipment
Oftentimes, our outdoor lawn equipment and grills aren’t used as often (or at all) during the winter. If your equipment is left to sit for a while, it becomes vulnerable to malfunctions or potential issues when spring rolls around.
Before lighting up your grill, make sure the gas lines and connectors are secure and that there aren’t any leaks or visible dents in your propane tanks.
Your lawn mowers and other outdoor equipment also need to be inspected for similar issues. Take extra care to inspect the gas tanks and repair any leaks or holes. Even the tiniest of gas leaks can be a huge fire hazard in the right environment.
Keep Debris Clear
Spring is a great time for getting outside and cleaning up around your property.
Wind, rain and other winter weather events can throw around debris and cause fallen branches or other vegetation. As you clean up and clear things away, make sure to stack your piles far away from your home. Dried branches and leaves are great kindling for fire, so don’t create more fuel for a potential house fire or wildfire to consume.
Prevention is always the best choice when it comes to house fires, but if you do wind up with fire damage, we are here for you. Our fire damage restoration team will arrive at your door quickly, and we will work tirelessly to return your home to its pre-fire state right away.
Fire damage can be widespread. If you suffer a house fire, call us at SERVPRO of Downtown and East Charlotte for a full restoration.
Smoke Damaged Books
Smoke damaged books
Do you have smoke damaged books after a fire? Can they be saved? Yes, it is possible, with some time and care. If you decide to attempt to clean up the books yourself, we have supplied a list below to help you with the process:
- In a small bowl mix warm water and a small amount of detergent.
- Slightly dampen a soft cloth or sponge.
- Being careful not to scrub, gently wipe soot from the book covers.
- Immediately wipe dry with a clean, dry, soft cloth.
- Allow the book cover to dry completely.
- The book cover may dull after being cleaned. If this happens, apply a very light layer of oil-based furniture polish.
Cleaning book pages will depend on the level of damage. It is important to never introduce moisture to the pages as it will make the process more difficult.
- Slight damage: use a dry sponge to gently wipe off the soot.
- Moderate damage: use an art gum eraser to rub the edges of the pages. If this is not working, use a hard, rubber eraser.
- Persistent damage: use a clamp to hold the pages shut and use a piece of sandpaper to gently remove the smoke damage. Move slowly and evenly to avoid waves in the pages. Using a dry sponge wipe away any dust from the sanding.
Remove Smoke Odor:
- Fill a plate or bowl with either baking soda, fresh coffee grounds, activated charcoal, or white vinegar and place it in a box or bag. Place the books next to the plate or bowl and close the box or bag.
- Let it sit for several hours or overnight.
- Remove the odor absorber and if the smoke smell has not fully disappeared, repeat the process using a fresh odor absorber.
If you are feeling overwhelmed with the post fire clean up process contact us, SERVPRO of East Charlotte is Here to Help®!
Putting out your fire until help arrives
If your Charlotte home is impacted by a fire, smoke, or soot here are some tips and do's and don'ts until help arrives...
The first 48 hours after a fire damage can make the difference between restoring versus replacing your property and personal belongings.
What you can do until help arrives
- Limit movement in the home to prevent soot particles from spreading and additional damage form occurring.
- Place clean towels or old linens on rugs and high traffic areas and upholstery.
- Coat chrome faucets, trim and appliances with petroleum jelly or oil.
- Place aluminum foil or wood blocks between furniture legs and wet carpet.
- Do not wash any walls or painted surfaces.
- Do not shampoo carpet or upholstery.
- Do not clean any electrical equipment.
- Do not send clothing to a dry cleaner since improper cleaning may set smoke odor.
- Keep hands clean. Soot on hands can further soil upholstery, walls, and woodwork.
- If electricity is off, empty freezer and refrigerator completely and prop doors open to help prevent odor.
- If heat is off during winter, pour RV antifreeze in sinks, toilet bowls, holding tanks and tubs to avoid freezing pipes and fixtures.
- Wash both sides of leaves on house plants.
- Change HVAC filter, but leave system off until a trained professional can check the system.
- Tape double layers of cheesecloth over air registers to stop particles of soot from getting in or out of the HVAC system.
- Consume any food or beverages that may have been stored close to fire, heat or water. (They may be contaminated.)
- Turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet. Wiring may be wet or damaged and cause electrical shock, and air movement may create secondary damage.